Sustainable Technologies Category Winner, "Create the Future" 2007 Design Contest
- Monday, 31 March 2008
(Winner of an HP Workstation)
Kailua Kona, HI
LEDTRICITY™ uses a combination of various electrical principles, unique wiring circuits, and state-of-the-art components to produce a safe, low-voltage/current output. The illumination of LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) using the LEDTRICITY system results in the ability to use extremely long, inexpensive wires to illuminate hundreds to thousands of LEDs.
To date several prototypes have been tested at over 2,000 feet (with each circuit x 4 = 8,000 feet on four pair of 24- gauge wires), illuminating 700 super-bright LEDs. Additionally, combining the LEDs with special storage cells means no batteries to replace, and greater than 500,000 charge cycles. There also are no critical memory problems as with batteries, and they are Earth friendly and can be thrown away in a landfill.
The LEDTRICITY Solar Powered System uses a small, inexpensive single array of solar panels to charge a deep-cycle storage battery during the day that runs the system day or night. The present invention has the ability to travel vast distances from the solar array and storage battery location, where typical DC, or direct current, is limited to short lengths. Imagine a home of 1,500 square feet. The LEDTRICITY system and storage battery are inside the garage and the solar array is on the roof. The output circuits branch out in all directions to the LEDs installed throughout the home. This scenario would be ideal to illuminate the entire home and property on solar power. The system would pay for itself over time and serve as emergency back-up lighting in the event of utility failure.
Other LEDTRICITY systems include:
- LEDTRICITY Bicycle System offers virtual frictionless operation, never needs batteries, operates LED headlights, tail and signal lights, and charges cell phones and iPods.
- LEDTRICITY Low-Velocity Wind System requires no transmission or braking, and as little as 7 mph operation.
- LEDTRICITY Low-Volume Hydro System features 1⁄ 2" pipe at 30 P.S.I. standard home water pressure, and produces enough force to operate the generator.
- LEDTRICITY Hand Crank System features low RPM requirements to reduce work and the gearing necessary for standard hand cranks to achieve charging voltage.
- LEDTRICITY LED Street Signal Lighting and LED Road Sign Lighting provides residential, commercial, in dustrial, marine, auto, and security lighting.