X-Windows Widget for Image Display
- Created: Tuesday, 01 March 2011
XvicImage is a high-performance X-Windows (Motif-compliant) user interface widget for displaying images. It handles all aspects of low-level image display. The fully Motif-compliant image display widget handles the following tasks:
- Image display, including dithering as needed
- Stretch (contrast enhancement, via lookup table)
- Display of single-band or color data
- Display of non-byte data (ints, floats)
- Pseudocolor display
- Full overlay support (drawing graphics on image)
- Mouse-based panning
- Cursor handling, shaping, and planting (disconnecting cursor from mouse)
- Support for all user interaction events (passed to application)
- Background loading and display of images (doesn’t freeze the GUl)
- Tiling of images.
It does not read images directly, so it can work with any image file format. It is the application’s responsibility to read the image and supply it to XvicImage. The xvd and tp programs (part of the VICAR image processing package) are dependent on XvicImage for their operation.