Apps of the Month
- Created on Sunday, 01 July 2012
This month, there are multiple Apps of the Month – the winners of the International Space Apps Challenge, which joined more than 2,000 people from around the world to create solutions of global importance related to spaceflight. The best apps are:• Most Inspiring - Planet Hopper, an app that visualizes Kepler data to allow children and teachers to explore all the exoplanets that we know about.
• Best Use of Data - Vicar2png (Virtual Participation), an app that allows anyone to view, enjoy, and remix NASA’s mission image data by converting VICAR files to the PNG image format.
• Most Disruptive - Growing Fruits: Pineapple Project, an app that provides the optimal crop for a community by filtering a tropical crop database by location’s rainfall, latitude, elevation, and pH.
• Most Innovative - Strange Desk, an app that allows users to socially share and analyze the occurrence of strange events with others.
• Galactic Impact - Growers Nation, an app that explores the potential of unused land for the growing of fruit, vegetable, and other crops through the use of location, climate, and growing data.
• People’s Choice - Bit Harvester, an SMS-based remote data acquisition and control system for remote renewable energy installations.
See all the solutions from the International Space Apps Challenge at http://spaceappschallenge.org.