XCALIBR (XML Capability Analysis LIBRary) is a set of Extensible Markup Language (XML) database and spreadsheet-based analysis software tools designed to assist in technology-return-on-investment analysis and optimization of technology portfolios pertaining to outer- space missions. XCALIBR is also being examined for use in planning, tracking, and documentation of projects. An XCALIBR database contains information on mission requirements and technological capabilities, which are related by use of an XML taxonomy. XCALIBR incorporates a standardized interface for exporting data and analysis templates to an Excel spreadsheet. Unique features of XCALIBR include the following:
- It is inherently hierarchical by virtue of its XML basis.
- The XML taxonomy codifies a comprehensive data structure and data dictionary that includes performance metrics for spacecraft, sensors, and spacecraft systems other than sensors. The taxonomy contains >700 nodes representing all levels, from system through subsystem to individual parts.
- All entries are searchable and machine readable.
- There is an intuitive Web-based user interface.
- The software automatically matches technologies to mission requirements.
- The software automatically generates, and makes the required entries in, an Excel return-on-investment analysis software tool.
- The results of an analysis are presented in both tabular and graphical displays.
This program was written by Raphael R. Some, Anil K. Agrawal, Akos J. Czikmantory, Charles R. Weisbin, and Hook Hua of Caltech and Jon M. Neff, Mark A. Cowdin, Brian S. Lewis, Juana Iroz, and Rick Ross of The Aerospace Corp. for NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
This software is available for commercial licensing. Please contact Karina Edmonds of the California Institute of Technology at (626) 395-2322. Refer to NPO-41911.
This Brief includes a Technical Support Package (TSP).
Spreadsheets for Analyzing and Optimizing Space Missions (reference NPO-41911) is currently available for download from the TSP library.
Please Login at the top of the page to download.