Special Coverage

Home

Second Prize Winners, “Create the Future” 2006 Design Contest

Winners of DeWalt Power Tool Combination Kits

Posted in: Articles

Read More >>

First Prize Winner, “Create the Future” 2006 Design Contest

Grip Handle Buck AlbrittonWinner of a Panasonic 42" plasma TV Designed by: Buck Albritton GearMax Ashland, VA

Read More >>

Grand Prize Winner, “Create the Future” 2006 Design Contest

Integrated Motor/Pump David A. TorreyWinner of a hybrid automobile or $20,000 Designed by:David A. Torrey, Ph.D., P.E. Advanced Energy Conversion LLC Malta, NY There is tremendous interest today in reducing the parasitic losses in engineered vehicle systems in order to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions. This is particularly true in mobile systems, where efficiency improvements are directly translated into reduced size, reduced weight, increased range, and simplified logistics. Advanced Energy Conversion (AEC) has developed a highly integrated fluid pump that can be an important element in advancing the state of the art in fluid handling for high-performance applications.

Read More >>

Emhart Teknologies Presents “Create the Future” 2006 Design Contest Winners

Creating the future is about change, creativity, and risk - the core building blocks that foster innovation. For the past five years, Emhart Teknologies has partnered with NASA Tech Briefs in challenging the engineering community through our “Create the Future” Design Contest. The worldwide engineering community’s response to the challenge surpassed our expectations once again. To encourage and recognize outstanding innovation in product design, the “Create the Future” design contest seeks to foster innovation in the categories of everyday products, safety, transportation, and medical. These categories were selected because they are areas where innovation can significantly improve the quality of our lives at home, work, recreation, or when we travel. Submitting an entry to the contest required commitment and attention to detail. Our panel of expert judges carefully scrutinized drawings, written descriptions, and all information that was relevant to the idea.

Read More >>

Innovation in 3D PDF

Michael KaplanBy Michael Kaplan Director of Engineering Adobe Acrobat Adobe Systems Inc. San Jose, CA When I started graduate studies in 3D computer graphics in 1978, dinosaurs roamed the Earth. I still remember my shock the first time I saw a real-time 3D vector graphics system. That quick glimpse of the future changed my life. The next day I applied to the Masters Program at the Cornell Program of Computer Graphics, and I’ve been working full-time on real-time 3D graphics ever since.

Read More >>

Thermographic Improvements Benefit Automotive Industry

Like most mature industries, the automotive industry is highly competitive. Customers demand quality, security, and economy. Competition requires increasingly fast times to market for new designs. Combining customer and competitive demands creates a dilemma: How to design and build the best product as fast as possible.

Posted in: Features, ptb catchall, Photonics, Articles

Read More >>

Motion Capture Software and Systems for Gait Analysis and Biomedicine

Nowadays, there are many technologies available that are used to quantify the motion of humans and animals. However, recent innovations in optical motion capture systems have added unprecedented capabilities, allowing the same program to be used by clinicians to assess walking deficiencies, i.e., gait analysis, of their patients; by movie animators to quantify the subtle motions of groups of actors; by engineers to evaluate how workers interact with machinery; and by researchers to study the locomotion of animals and better design walking and flying robots.

Posted in: Features, Motion Control, Articles

Read More >>

White Papers

X-Ray Imaging: Emerging Digital Technology - CMOS Detectors
Sponsored by Teledyne DALSA
Inclinometers for Motion Control
Sponsored by Fraba Posital
Back to Basics of Electrical Measurement
Sponsored by Keithley
Electroforming Basics
Sponsored by Servometer
How to Choose the Right Sensor for Your Measurement System